On this Sunday Funday, I want to branch out into the new topic of vegan cuisine. I have been eating strictly vegan for over four years now, and I have recently come up with this rather healthy, but also rather delicious vegan pancake recipe 🙂 The pancakes are obviously not going to make you drop five pounds in an hour, but they are certainly not bad for you and they satisfy your occasional craving for a sweet breakfast without guilt, since they are vegan, cholesterol-free, made out of wholemeal flour and contain hardly any sugar. The recipe serves two (5 medium-sized pancakes), it is super quick and doesn’t even ask for an electric whisk!
You will need
100 g ( 3/4 cup) of wholemeal flour
100 g ( 3/4 cup) of regular spelt flour (you can also use wheat flour)
200 ml (1 cup) of plant milk (I used soy milk, but you can use whatever you like)
80 ml (1/8 cup) of fizzy water (or a bit more, until the batter is of the right consistency)
1 teaspoon of baking powder
2 tablespoons of raw cane sugar, honey, agave syrup or any sweetener of your choice
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
You can/should add fruits like sliced apples, blueberries or raspberries for extra yumminess 🙂
- Start by adding all the dry ingredients into a big bowl.
- Now add the milk, the water and the vanilla extract.
- Mix until the batter is lump-free and of a rather liquid consistency: Add a bit more fizzy water if it is too thick. You should be able to easily pour it into the frying pan.
- Heat a lightly oiled frying pan over medium high heat. Adding too much oil or puddles of oil will make your pancakes burn. Pour around 1/5 of the batter into the pan, sprinkle the raw batter with fruits if you want to, and cook the pancake for a little (!) over a minute, until the edge starts to slightly (!) brown and lift. In case of doubt, flip your pancake sooner rather than later. They tend to be done quicker than you think. Trust your nose 🙂
- Keep the pancakes you have already made in the preheated oven and serve them warm, with maple syrup, chocolate sprinkles, yogurt, strawberries etc. I opted for passion fruit and grapes.
Enjoy your treat and have a lovely Sunday 🙂